Goals and Objectives
To provide high quality students in the field of Botany to the university, state agencies and the private sectors.
- To offers workshops, short courses and other educational opportunities.
- To facilitate interdisciplinary activities which utilizes Botany.
- To develop scientific attitude and sense of observation in students.
- Development of a center for Eco-restoration studies in UNESCO World Heritage Sites-Western Ghats.
1. Dr. Rajendra Arvind Shevde, Assistant Professor, HOD
2. Dr. Mahadeo Pandurang Badge, Assistant Professor.
3. Dr. Kalpit Ganesh Mhatre, Assistant Professor.
4. Mr. Pranay Dayanand More.
1. Mr. Nachiket Vikas Shetye, Laboratory Assistant.
2. Mr. Dinesh Iranna Challawad, Laboratory Attendant.
Botany Department at a Glance
Year of Establishment: 2009-10
- Classes: F.Y., S.Y. and T.Y.B.Sc.
- Area of the laboratory: 600 sq. ft.
- Specialized Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory.
- Separate Departmental Library with more than 100 reference books, text books.
- Preserved plant specimens, herbarium sheets for laboratory study.
- Well qualified staff.
- Mode of Teaching – Google classroom, ppt presentation, MOODLE, Audio-Video lectures, animation, video films. UGC Career Oriented Course – Bee Keeping & Honey Processing.
- International Collaboration – TFTF, USA and SEBC, Ratnagiri.
- National Collaboration – Indira Institute of Pharmacy, Sadavali, Devrukh, Ratnagiri. Dapoli Urban Bank Senior Science College, Dapoli, Ratnagiri.
- Research Projects: 1 Major (Sanctioned and Completed by UGC) & 2 Minor (Sanctioned University of Mumbai).
- MS. MISBAH M. KAZI – Stood first among all girl students in Botany at the University in June 2014 with 92.38 % marks.
- MS. MISBAH M. KAZI – Achieved Dr. Karmarkar Endowment Prize for ranking 1st position among all girls students in Botany at University of Mumbai .
Curricular and Co-curricular Activities
- Conduction of study tours, excursion, etc.
- Field visit to various wildlife sanctuaries, nature parks, etc.
- Conduction of nature trails at biodiversity hotspot like – Machal, Lanja
- Participation in various intra-collegiate and inter-collegiate competition like avishkar research convention, youth festivals, science association, food festival.
- Participation in Avishkar Research Convention. (achieved silver medal by Ms. Aparna A. Patil, ex-student)
- Participation in district level flower shows. (achieved 1st prize).
- Participation in intra university level bio-jewelry competition. (achieved special prize)
- Constructed Nakshtra Van – unique feature of the institution among the university ofMumbai.
- One major research project (MRP) sponsored by ugc in the academic year 2013. Duration of project: 03 years. Fund available: D 11, 38, 000.00 Two Minor Research Projects sanctioned by University of Mumbai 2018.
Fund available – D 40,000.00
- Certification and Biodiversity Audit of Brihan-Maharashtra College of Commerce, Pune.
- EIA of 06 irrigation projects in Ratnagiri and Sindhudurga district in collaboration with Science and Technology Park (STP), Pune.
- Indigenous tree plantation programme carried every year in collaboration with TFTF, USA and Himalaya Pharmaceuticals, Bengaluru.
- Dr. Rajendra Arvind Shevde has been appointed as Member of Board of Studies (BOS) in Botany by University of Mumbai from 2017 to 2022.
- Dr. Rajendra Arvind Shevde has been appointed as Member of Local Inquiry Committee (LIC) by University of Mumbai for the academic year 2018 – 19.
- Dr. Kalpit G. Mhatre has got Patent on Herbal Medicine by Government of India.